Firstly, let’s begin with some definitions:
* Telemarketing: using the telephone to educate customers, arrange free trials or schedule sales meetings
* Telesales: selling products / services directly over the phone
Many business people don’t like using the phone to sell. They tell me that they get nervous, become tongue tied and don’t enjoy the experience. This is quite normal, after all, most of us don’t enjoy rejection, do we? In order to use the telephone better, The Marketing Compass suggests the following strategies:
1. Ensure that you are working with a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system, as you will then have ‘all of your contacts in one place’.
2. Within your CRM, divide prospective customers up into market segments, as it’s easier to call a ‘group of people with shared needs’ within one session, than it is to hop around between random contacts.
3. If you are making the calls, block time into your diary every week to do this. Two hours at a time is fine.
4. Especially when you are starting out, a written script will help you to get through the first 15 seconds or so of a call to a stranger.
5. Stand up when you dial, as you will feel more confident.
6. If you are going to be making a lot of calls, consider using a headset.
For many of us, the most important use of the phone is to follow-up on sales enquiries. Email is all well and good, but it is important to pick up the phone and speak to potential customers, isn’t it?
By the way, in the UK, it is important to be aware of the Telephone Preference Service, as you can be fined for cold calling people who are registered there.
Be aware that calling consumers is frowned upon (and there are much better ways of marketing to them, anyway).
If you are looking for a B2B telemarketing agency, you are welcome to ask us for recommendations.
If you have any questions – just ask.
Join us COMPASS membership is FREE!
* Create a profile & promote yourself
* Hyperlink back to your website
* Connect with other members
* Post updates about your marketing
* Join knowledge groups & find answers
* Download our FREE ebook – 101 Customer Attraction Techniques
* Earn money via our affiliate scheme