We live in hard times currently, with our teams of people struggling with no pay rises, limited bonuses (unless you’re a banker ) and longer hours – just to keep our businesses afloat. If you’re the manager of a team, you will know that a motivated team is a more productive team!
Continuing the theme of motivating people without having to spend too much money, here are 5 key ways you as a Manager can motivate YOUR team:
- When individuals, or the team, do something well i.e. something beyond their normal responsibitlities, find a way to congratulate them. This doesn’t have to be in the form of extra cash – it could be a public thankyou, a letter of thanks, a day off or even a voucher for a dinner etc. It does have to be immediate however, so that, psychologically, they connect the reward with the postive behaviour you want to encourage.
- Get to know everyone in your team, and get to know, and respect, one special strength they each have. It may not be immediately obvious, but it will help you get to know them in a positive way, that will come over as an afirmation and encouragement. It will also make them feel appreciated as a person.
- Involve your team in planning. This will help them understand the purpose of what they individually do, and the connection between their success and the busisiness’s success. You may also get great ideas that you hadn’t thought of.
- Be enthusiastic and excitied about your business. If you aren’t, then your team won’t be either.
- Be flexible. As long as the work gets done on time, it may not matter if they have to work slightly different hours to suit their personal circumstances or work from home. Try to focus on the results, not on hours worked too.
What do YOU do to motivate YOUR team?
For more ways to improve your management – www.cocreative.co.uk
Join us COMPASS membership is FREE!
* Create a profile & promote yourself
* Hyperlink back to your website
* Connect with other members
* Post updates about your marketing
* Join knowledge groups & find answers
* Download our FREE ebook – 101 Customer Attraction Techniques
* Earn money via our affiliate scheme