A description tag is part of the meta data of your website. In a well organised site, description tag text appears underneath the title listing within an organic search results page. In other words – when your site appears in Google, a brief paragraph of text (which you or your SEO agency created) appears within your listing.
The description tag should be relevant to the page content. It should also be easy to read and contain a call to action. These tags can be up to 170 characters in length.
We are often asked how to change these tags. If you have access to your own CMS (Content Management System), you should be able to log in and make the changes yourself.
Tip 1. Have separate description tags for each of your website pages.
Tip 2. Include your telephone number within your description tag – as this may generate some sales enquiries!
By the way, our web development arm Totosites provides a CMS as part of each new website we build. www.totosites.com Call us on 01628 773128 to find out more.
Join us COMPASS membership is FREE!
* Create a profile & promote yourself
* Hyperlink back to your website
* Connect with other members
* Post updates about your marketing
* Join knowledge groups & find answers
* Download our FREE ebook – 101 Customer Attraction Techniques
* Earn money via our affiliate scheme